Ayurvedic Spa Treatments are the Crème de la crème of the massage world to De-stress, Relax and Rejuvenate
The inspiration for this article grew out of a strong belief that Ayurveda (Sanskrit word meaning Science of Life) should be shared in a simple, practical way. Heretofore, Ayurveda has been viewed as an esoteric science. Yet its simple, practical, science of life principles are universally applicable to each individual’s daily existence. Ayurveda speaks to every element and facet of human life, offering guidance that has been tested and refined over many centuries to all those who seek greater harmony, peace, rejuvenation and longevity.
Understanding the interconnected functioning and relationship between our five senses and the five elements forms the foundation of Ayurveda fundamental to restoring balance to mans’ mind, body and emotions.
The five elements are directly related to mans’ ability to perceive the external environment in which he lives. They are also related, through the senses, to five actions expressing the functions of the sensory organs. The basic elements Ether, Air, Fire, Water and Earth are related to hearing, touch, vision, taste and smell, respectively:
- Ether is the medium through which sound is transmitted. Thus, the ethereal element is related to the hearing function.
- Air is related to the sense of touch: the sensory organ of touch is the skin. The organ of action for the sense of touch is the hand.
- Fire, which manifests as light, heat and color, is related to vision. The eye, the organ of sight.
- Water is related to the organ of taste: without water the tongue cannot taste.
- Earth element is related to the sense of smell. The nose, the sensory organ of smell.
Ayurveda aims to enable each individual to bring his body, mind and emotion into harmonious balance with the five elements and senses.
Ayurvedic spa treatments are the crème de la crème of the massage world. They’ve been tried and tested through the ages in India, not only for relaxation, but for health benefits such as improving circulation, toning the muscles, calming the nerves, lubricating the joints, and increasing mental alertness. They are also used for supreme detoxification, skin health, energy, stamina, and better sleep.
There are several key things that make an Ayurvedic massage different from a regular massage. From the training of the masseuse to the long-lasting effects, here are some of the things that set Ayurvedic massages apart from the rest:
- Healing Arts Masters. The therapists are trained by an Ayurvedic Doctor
- Special Ayurvedic Oils. Carefully crafted organic oil blends are infused with Ayurvedic herbs and heated to the perfect temperature to promote relaxation and detoxification. At the right temperature, these special oils enter through the skin and pores, bind to toxins, and are released to purify the body.
- Intention. Depending on the treatment, an Ayurvedic therapist focuses on clearing the energy channels in the body, moving and dislodging toxins, and balancing the chakras (energy centers). A simple shift in intention from rubbing the muscles to clearing the physical and energetic pathways can be the difference between a relaxing massage and a life-changing event.
- Sensation. The strokes and movements in Ayurvedic massage are more connected and vigorous, yet never painful. This increases circulation and lymphatic drainage … and feels utterly blissful. Most recipients leave feeling energized and rejuvenated.
- Benefits. Primarily, these unique treatments are intended to make the energy flow properly in the body, clear all physiological and energetic pathways, and reduce stress.
Turn your next massage into an Ayurvedic treatment at The EQ Natural Day Spa in Johannesburg, South Africa. Here are the most luxurious Ayurvedic spa treatments available.
De-stress and Rejuvenation Therapy
Our signature therapy is a combination of 3 specialised Ayurvedic Healing Treatments designed to release emotional toxicity and create balance.
Treatment commences with Marma Point Therapy a unique therapy in Ayurveda that helps awaken “energy points” throughout the body. This is followed by Pinda Swedana a unique therapy with the application of hot herbal rice puddings in muslin pouches. The treatment is completed with Nabhi Basti, which helps to balance the vital centre where all subtle energy pathways converge. A gentle abdominal oil application therapy with specific herbal oil is performed, thereafter a bowl made out of dough is placed over your navel area and filled with lukewarm medicated oil.
Benefits of therapy:
NURTURING session for emotional stress, trauma, grief. Strengthens the power of digestion and absorption, and facilitates the release of deeply seated emotions.
This multi-level treatment works on the entire system—mental, physical, and energetic. If you seek to heal, balance, and transform, opt for this pinnacle of massage treatments.
Probably the most well-known and highly spiritual experience is the Shirodhara. It is a very meditative and tranquil treatment in which a soothing stream of warm oil is poured over the forehead and onto the “third eye” chakra, your intuitive energetic center. It calms the central nervous system and integrates the mind and body. Many experience visions and restful awareness, where it almost feels like you’re asleep, yet still aware. You have to feel it to believe it.
This is the quintessential traditional Ayurvedic treatment, and after experiencing it you’ll understand why it’s so popular. Abhyanga is a choreographed massage using friction-based strokes and warm specific oils. As the oil is massaged into the skin, it penetrates deep into the tissues to loosen toxins at a cellular level. The Abhyanga enhances immune system function, promotes circulation, and creates deep relaxation in the body and mind.